Hyperopia is a common vision condition that makes near vision blurry. While it is not a disease, it is part of the spectrum of vision disorders, like astigmatism or myopia.

The eye of a farsighted person is sometimes referred to as "too small" or "too short," although it is not always the size of the eye that is at fault as this vision problem may be due to the shape of the cornea, which may be too shallowly curved and too flat. This results in blurred vision because the light is concentrated behind the retina instead of on it.

Symptoms of hyperopia:

The signs that indicate the presence of hyperopia are as follows:

  • Blurred vision of close objects and difficulty reading;
  • The need to squint to see things properly;
  • Eye fatigue and pain;
  • Burning sensation in the eyes;
  • Headaches when reading or working on the computer.

Who has farsightedness?

Hyperopia often goes unnoticed until the age of 30 because of the eye's fantastic ability to accommodate. After the age of 30, this power decreases and vision becomes blurred near and far. After the age of 40, vision deteriorates progressively, especially with the onset of presbyopia. Hyperopia can be genetic. The risk of becoming hyperopic is higher when a family member suffers from this vision condition.

How can farsightedness be corrected?

Farsightedness can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses to change the way light rays converge in the eye. If your prescription for glasses or contact lenses starts with a positive number, such as +2.50, you are farsighted.

When choosing glasses for hyperopia correction, choose aspheric lenses, especially for a stronger prescription. These lenses are noticeably slimmer, thinner and lighter than conventional glass or plastic lenses and have a slimmer, more attractive profile. Aspheric lenses also reduce the magnification of the eyes or "coke bottle" effect.

Contact lenses are generally more comfortable than glasses for severe hyperopia. Contacts offer more natural and better peripheral vision than glasses to correct hyperopia.

Ask your IRIS optometrist for advice on correcting your farsightedness.