October brings us the vibrant charm of fall and a wonderful gift from Mother Nature: pumpkins! Prepare to embark on a culinary journey that tantalizes your taste buds and pampers your precious eyes!
Pumpkin is a cornucopia of vitamins and antioxidants that support eye health. This autumn superstar is bursting with beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A and one of your eye's best friends. Vitamin A promotes night vision and helps prevent dryness. Pumpkin also packs a punch of vitamin C, the antioxidant that helps shield your eyes and keep them sharp and focused. Healthy blood pressure is also important to your eyes, so pumpkin can take another bow for providing calcium, potassium, magnesium, and fibre.
Now, let's whip up a sensational Savoury Pumpkin Stew that'll have your taste buds and eyes singing in harmony!
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small sugar pumpkin, peeled and diced
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 cup of low-sodium vegetable broth
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric (hello, anti-inflammatory goodness!)
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful of fresh spinach (because we're going all-in on greens!)
- In a pot, sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the diced pumpkin, carrots, and celery. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Sprinkle in the ground turmeric and dried thyme. Stir it all up.
- Pour the vegetable broth and let the stew simmer gently until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the white beans for added protein and creaminess.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, letting those flavours mingle.
- Just before serving, fold in the fresh spinach. It'll wilt slightly in the warmth.
- Serve and enjoy!