Spring is finally just around the corner! The warmer temperature makes us want to fill our plates with fresh and colorful vegetables. This vegetable and legume-based bowl is the perfect way to enjoy a variety of fresh and healthy foods.
To maintain good eye health, there is nothing better than sweet potatoes. They are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which can slow the progression of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) when combined with another antioxidant, such as spinach. Avocados contain a good dose of lutein, another antioxidant. Chickpeas also have interesting properties for your eyes’ health. They contain zinc, which helps the liver to release vitamin A all the way to the retina to produce melanin, which contributes to protect the eyes against harmful sun rays.
This recipe is simple to prepare yet contains a lot of beneficial foods for your eyes!
INGREDIENTS – For 4 people
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- 2 sweet potatoes, halved
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (540ml)
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- Choice of spices (chili seasoning, cumin, garlic powder, etc.)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 4 cups of spinach
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lime (optional)
- Black and white sesame seeds (optional)
1. Preheat the oven at 400 °F
2. Place potatoes and chickpeas on an open plate covered with parchment paper. Cover everything with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with spices, salt and pepper.
3. Cook for 20 minutes or until chickpeas are golden and potatoes tender. Stir halfway through. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to the packaging’s instructions.
4. Dice the avocado and cut the lemon in half. Press the lemon juice. Drizzle the avocado with half the juice.
5. To prepare the dressing, mix the tahini, the remaining lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
6. Place the spinach at the bottom of four bowls. Distribute the quinoa, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes and avocadoes in the bowls. Add a lime wedge and sprinkle the sesame seeds if desired.
7. Serve the bowls with the tahini dressing.
We hope you’ll enjoy this recipe! Share your creations using #IRISRecipe