We can’t hide it, the holidays are coming and we couldn’t be more excited! Holiday traditions bring us the most delicious food plus, we get to spend some quality time with our family and friends. If your plans include going to a potluck or if you are hosting friends at your place, here is an easy to prepare, healthy and delectable recipe that everybody will love!
More than that, we want you to be able to maintain great eye health throughout the holidays! Our one-bite beet pesto appetizer recipe is filled with lutein and zeaxanthin (found in the beets) that provide optical benefits.
FOR THE PESTO
1 cup red beet chopped and roasted (about 1 medium-sized beet)
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
½ cup roasted almonds
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt to taste
FOR THE BITES
20-25 of your favourite crackers (they could be Ritz, Triscuit, Wheat Thins or your preferred brand)
Parmesan (thinly sliced with a potato peeler)
Fresh sprouts (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
2. Wash and scrub a medium-sized red beet. Peel and chop it into small cubes (about the size of a thumb) and place the pieces on a pan on which there is a baking sheet.
3. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes and toss the beets to allow them to roast evenly on all slides. Roast for another 20-25 minutes or until beets are soft and juices are seeping out.
4. Take the beets out of the oven. Allow them to cool completely.
5. Add all ingredients (except for the olive oil) into a food processor or blender and pulse several times.
6. Leaving the food processor (or blender) running, slowly add the olive oil until all ingredients are well combined.
Spread some beet pesto on each cracker, add the Parmesan and sprinkle pine nuts over the crackers. You can even add some of your favourite fresh sprouts to add a touch of colour to your delicious bites.