The season for strawberries is here! Who doesn’t love this sweet fruit? We typically use it in desserts or have it for breakfast, but have you tried it in a savoury salad? The addition of balsamic vinegar to strawberries enhances their flavour.
These berries are packed with antioxidants and provide many health benefits, like helping to reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It also provides a hefty dose of magnesium which helps regulate blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
In honour of this super fruit, we propose you try this delicious summer salad!
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups hulled and halved strawberries
1 cup halved bocconcini (mozzarella) balls
1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
1/3 cup pecans, toasted
4-5 fresh basil leaves, torn
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring the balsamic vinegar, pepper and salt to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and simmer until the vinegar has thickened and reduced by two halves, whisking frequently. Set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the olive oil with the cooled balsamic reduction.
- Combine the strawberries, cheese, avocado slices, pecans and basil in a bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad, toss gently and serve immediately.
Make it vegan, and skip the cheese. Just as yummy!