If you dream of no longer having to wear glasses or contact lenses, LASIK surgery may be an interesting option for you. Here are the conditions to allow yourself the freedom to see well without glasses.
LASIK surgery corrects imperfections in the shape of the eye with micrometre precision by spraying thin layers of cells on the surface of the cornea. LASIK surgery can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. LASIK surgery is the most common laser treatment and has the shortest recovery time.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Must be 18 years old. The minimum age to be eligible for laser refractive surgery is 18 years old.
- Have stable vision for at least one year. If your glasses or contact lens prescription has changed more than 0.75 diopters in the past year, it is best to wait for your vision to stabilize before having surgery. Laser surgery doesn't stop the natural progression of vision.
Most people are good candidates for laser eye surgery, even those with severe vision problems. Depending on their ocular profile, some patients are compatible with several laser techniques, while others will benefit from Lasik or surface surgery with PRK. The degree of correction to be achieved, the corneal topography, and the cornea's thickness are all elements to consider when choosing the most appropriate technique for each patient.
You may be ineligible for corneal laser surgery if you have any of the following conditions:
- Eye diseases
- Immune system deficiencies that may interfere with healing
- Taking certain long-term medications
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
To find out if you are a good candidate, schedule an appointment for a complete eye health evaluation. Optometrists and ophthalmologists will suggest the best technique suited to your profile and lifestyle. There are personalized solutions for every visual defect, every age, and every client.