The fall season equals cooler days and evenings. Maybe it is residual instincts from our ancestors but, preparing for the winter months seems necessary at this time of the year. Canning, pickling and preparing hearty comforting meals are all synonymous with fall and, we have the perfect recipe which perfectly encompasses the season; a veggie and meat stew!
This nourishing stew incorporates delicious root vegetables that are beneficial for your eye health. Rich in beta-carotene and vitamins, root vegetables are the perfect ingredient for stews and for your eyes. What you eat can definitely impact your eyes, therefore maintaining a diet with a diverse range of nutrients is important.
We would love for you to share pictures of your stew! Share them with us on social media. Tag us at @irisvisualgroup and use hashtag #irisrecipe.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1.5 lbs stewing beef
4 cups beef broth
2 small onions, halved or quartered
2 medium potatoes, cut into six pieces
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut in cubes
½ cabbage, cut into wedges
30 green beans, tied in bouquets or ¼ cups peas
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large casserole heat the oil on medium heat, add the beef and brown it 2 minutes on each side.
2. Add the broth and onions, bring to a boil.
3. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
4. Add the vegetables and herbs, continue to simmer for another 45 minutes, until the veggies and the meat are fork tender.
5. Enjoy, and don’t forget to share your pictures! #IRISrecipe