Did you start the year with a plan to eat healthier? If not, it’s never too late to get on board. Either way, a key to healthy meal choices is a stash of recipes that are packed with the nutrients you need and taste good enough to enjoy time and again. That is why we had to share this simple and delicious Salmon Cakes recipe.
Salmon, the main ingredient, is filled with omega-3 fatty acids. Certain studies show that ingesting omega-3 can reduce the risk of cataracts and help protect the retina’s light receptors against macular degeneration. This healthy fat also supports the production of quality tears, which supports overall eye health.
Did you know most heart-healthy foods are also ideal for maintaining healthy eyes? Let’s get cooking with this nummy superfood!
1 ¼ pounds fresh wild salmon, coarsely chopped
1 large egg
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (we love olive oil mayonnaise)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
2 green onions, finely chopped
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- Pat the salmon dry before chopping it coarsely.
- Place the salmon in a large bowl and add the egg, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, garlic, green onion, bread crumbs, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Mix well.
- Make four 1-inch patties and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large 12-inch non-stick skillet.
- Cook the patties until golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.